Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Painting on a Cross Cut Saw!





Last summer, my grandpa and I were in his old tool shed when we came across his dad's old cross cut saw. He really loves the saw and he loves my art work so we pulled it out of the shed. We cleaned it off and started discussing what he wanted me to paint on it. He still lives on the same grounds of his home place and he really wanted me to capture the essence of what it used to look like when he was growing up in the 30's and 40's.
I thought it was a great idea, so I started finding old pictures of the what the surrounding buildings and house used to look like and by the time December rolled around, I was ready to start painting so I could have it ready for him in time for Christmas!
I first primed the saw blade with a couple coats of white gesso. I then started with the sky and came forward with the painting. It was a real challenge because i have never painted something so long, yet so thin. Here are some pictures of how it turned out.......My grandpa loved it....I hope you do do!

No comments:

Post a Comment